Solos Categories and Rules of the Competition:
The Competition categories below may be combined or divided according to the number of entries. Categories will be opened if at least 3 participants sign up for the given category (does not apply to Choreo It!, Unique and Feedback Only categories, which will always be opened with any number of sign-ups).
1. Group Solo Classical/Show
- Dancers dance in a group to the same choreography and music given by the organizer. The choreography will be a maximum of 1 minute long.
- Instructional video and music will be sent in advance by the organizer on the given date. For each age category there is a different choreography that corresponds to the age. For foreign dancers, the instructional video will be sent in two languages: both in English and Czech language
- The dancer will learn the choreography according to the tutorial video and will train according to it. Her dance teacher can help with the teaching and training of the choreography or the contestants can help each other. The video is educational, i.e. that it contains instructions to learn, it is not just a filmed choreography.
- At the competition, the dancers will be divided into groups of min. 2 and max. 5 participants and will dance the choreography 2 times in a row.
- During the dance, the dancer will only move forward and backward, movement to the side is only allowed so that the dancer does not cross the space of another dancer.
- You can apply for 2 categories:
- Group Solo Classical (classical choreography without a veil)
- Group Solo Show (oriental dance with show elements and gestures, often on non-oriental music, choreography with theme or some idea)
- All dancers who apply for this category will, if interested, have the opportunity to perform this choreography together with Anniya and the guests of the festival at the evening show. The dance will again be done in groups together with the designated judge. This interest must be stated in the competition application.
- The dancer can continue to use the choreography even after the competition, the condition is to mention the author of the choreography, which is: Anniya.
2. Choreo It!
- The dancer will receive final music from the organizer in the range of 1:15 - 1:30 min. The music is uniform for the entire age group. The dancer will receive the music by email immediately after sending the application and after it has been processed by the organizer. The music will be sent to the email specified in the application.
- The dancer who is registered in this category prepares her own choreography to the music specified by the organizer. No one else may help with the creation of the choreography, the lecturer may only give feedback or help during training, but the choreography must be entirely created by the contestant who will compete with this choreography herself. The choreography should not be based on or strongly inspired by another already created choreography - in this case, this fact may be reflected in the point evaluation.
- Category Choreo It! will always be opened, even if there are fewer registered dancers.
- You can enter two style categories:
- Classical (classical oriental dance) - Choreography should correctly interpret Arabic rhythms, possibly folklore and other parts, if they are present in the music. The chosen props should correspond to the classical oriental dance or the given folklore, if it occurs in the music (e.g. a suitable veil, saidi stick). There is no drum solo only in this category. The chosen costume should correspond to the age and classical oriental dance. On stage/off stage will be announced to the organizer no later than by the deadline of 5.11. 2023.
- Fusion/Show - The dancer invents her own theme, story or idea for the given music, which she then works into the music herself. It can be just a fusion of several dance styles, it doesn't have to be a story. Oriental dance should prevail. Any props are allowed, live fire may not be used. The chosen costume should correspond to the age. The name of the dancer's choreography and on stage/off stage will be announced to the organizer no later than by the deadline of 5.11. 2023.
- Lenght of music: 1:15 - 1:30 min
- The dancer will receive the music in uncut length from the organizer on the given date (does not apply to the Profi category). A dancer can prepare for her performance at home, listen to music, try to improvise and try combinations.
- At the competition, the music will be played in a shorter edited version, which the dancer will hear for the first time at the competition and will dance to it. Cutting music can take place in several places, i.e. it will not only be a matter of shortening the song.
- At the competition, the dancers will be divided into groups of min. 2 and max. 5 participants and will improvise to the music together.
- If the dancer is part of the dance group, the leader MUST NOT prepare the choreography for this music in advance, all the work should be on the dancer. The leader can only give basic instructions and advice on improvisation.
- Dancers in the Professional category will have their own music, which they will not know in advance and will only improvise to it at the competition, where they will hear it for the first time.
- Length of improvisation: approx. 1 min
- Style: classical oriental dance without props
4. Own Choreography Solo
- The dancer dances alone on the stage with her own choreography to her own music.
- Choreography length: 1.5 - 3 minutes
- Classical oriental dance
- Dance based on the classical and modern style of oriental dance. Vocal and instrumental compositions and props suitable for the dance style are allowed. The drum solo itself does not belong in this category.
- The dance must contain characteristic movements and features of the given folklore. The style of dance must match the chosen style of music. The costume must match the chosen dance style. Props corresponding to the given folklore are allowed. This category does not include the Shaabi style.
- A dance based on oriental dance with fusion or show elements (a fusion of oriental and other dance styles and/or choreography with a story/theme that can engage the audience). Oriental dance should predominate in the choreography. Any style of music, any props and any style of costume appropriate to the theme is allowed. Live fire not allowed to be used. Shaabi style also belongs to this category. Tribal Fusion Style also belongs to this category - in case of a large number of applicants, a special category will be opened for this style.
- Dance based on classical and modern Indian dance. Props appropriate to the given style are allowed. The costume must match the given style of dance.
- Drum Solo
- Dance interpreting oriental rhythms in the given composition. Props appropriate to the dance style are allowed.
5. Queen of Habibi
- Any dancer who competes in all 3 solo categories, i.e. in the Group Solo, Improvisation Solo and Own Choreography Solo categories, is automatically included in this category.
- Dancer does not compete/perform again, the jury's point evaluation for all 3 categories are sum up and total score of all the points from of all three categoriies are deciding. Queen of Habibi for the given year of the festival is announced based on such results.
- If a dancer competes in 1 competition category more than once (e.g. has 3 solos of own choreography category), the dancer's best point result is counted.
- Queen of Habibi is announced for each age category.
- A category intended for all unique dancers who are not afraid to compete despite their physical or mental handicap and would like to be evaluated by the jury in this separate category. The handicap will be communicated to the organizer in the application form - this information will then be passed on to the jury in a non-public way (the handicap will not be communicated to the spectators at the competition).
- The category is intended for solos/duos/trios where at least one dancer has a physical or mental handicap.
- Number of dancers: 1 – 3
- Choreography length: 1.5 - 3 minutes
- The category has no restrictions on style or age - in case of a larger number of applications, it will be divided according to the relevant age or style categories.
- This category will always be open, even if there are fewer registered dancers.
- Category event date:
- If all dancers in the choreography are under 18 (included) or their average age falls under 18.9: the choreography will be included in the Saturday program in the children's competition
- If dancers are older than 18 dance in the choreography or their average age falls above 19.0: the choreography will be included in the Sunday program of the adult competition
7. Feedback Only
- Non-competitive category for all solos/duos/trios/groups who do not want to compete but would like to know detailed feedback from the judges on their dance.
- Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place are not awarded in the category, the dancer will receive only a small reward for participation and will subsequently receive feedback from the judge on the spot on the day of the category.
- The category is without style or age restrictions and will not be further divided. The length of the choreography is not limited.
- Category event date:
- If all dancers in the choreography are under 18 (inclusive) or their average age falls under 18.9: the choreography will be included in the Saturday program in the children's competition
- If dancers older than 18 dance in the choreography or their average age falls above 19.0: the choreography will be included in the Sunday program of the adult competition
- The entry fee in this category is different from the classic entry fee!
- Solo: 100 CZK/choreography
- Dua/Tria: 150 CZK/choreography
- Groups (4 dancers or more): 50 CZK/dancer